Saturday, April 2, 2016

Saddles

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I want to start riding Gambler in a saddle. There are two steps I need to complete before I can start riding. First, I need to find a saddle that fits him. Second, I need to teach Gambler that when he has a saddle on he can move at all gaits without bucking. Right now I have four saddle options.

First Option: My Western Saddle.


I've owned this saddle for a few years. It was a birthday present picked up at a 4H tack sale. I used it when I went trail riding with my Mom at a different barn. I rode a 14-something hand Arabian mare. When I first purchased Gambler I was sure that the saddle was too big for him. On Thursday I brought it to the barn to try it out and it might actually fit him. I think I had it a little too far forward in this picture, but it wasn't cinched up or anything. 

Second Option: Marguerite's Western Saddle 


This is one of my barn owner's saddles. It is a smaller saddle that was used on a horse that was almost exactly Gambler's size. After I used it for a time, however, Gambler became cinchy and put up a fuss. Upon examination I came to the conclusion that it didn't fit. I'm wondering now, as I look at all these pictures, if the problem isn't that I've been putting all these saddles too far up on Gambler's withers. 

Third Option: Marguerite's Close Contact Saddle


This is also my barn owner's saddle. I've had Gambler fitted for this saddle and at the time it was slightly wide, but not enough that it should have a negative affect on his back. If anything, Gambler is wider than he was then, so it should fit him even better now. As with the other two saddles, when I look at the picture it seems like I have the saddle too far forward. 

Fourth Option: Mom's Bareback Pad


This is what I have ridden Gambler in so far. He seems to have a problem with the weight and movement of saddles and not the girth/cinch. I find that interesting since he doesn't seem to dislike my weight and movement when I ride him. I will continue to ride Gambler bareback with or without a pad, but I know that it is hard on a horses back, especially a green horse that isn't used to a rider. So for now, when trotting or cantering, I will ride in a saddle.

9 comments:

  1. it's very critical that you ride him in a well fitted saddle and it would be worth the money to have someone help you fit one for him. He's just learning to carry a rider and if he has a saddle that causes him discomfort and/or pain it will sour him for riding and may result in you getting hurt. I'm pretty frugal in my horse spending but a few areas I close my eyes and pay are for vets, farriers and saddle fitters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you there. Way too many people toss any old saddle onto their horse and go for a two-hour trail ride, assuming that any saddle-horse combination is okay. This just leads to cinchy, grumpy horses who do things like refuse to be caught or buck their riders off regularly. It is so important to listen to what our horses are telling us. The difference in Gambler when he has a saddle that fits and a saddle that doesn't is huge.

      Delete
  2. Be happy that he is as opinionated as he is, because you will know when a saddle doesn't fit. Chrome is so stoic I have no idea half the time. I just have to check the saddle and pad every time I ride (before and after) and I palpate his back to check for pain almost every day. I'm a bit paranoid I guess haha. I agree that ill fitting tack is one of the biggest causes of sour horses and it's really sad. They put up with so much from clueless people. I'm glad you're such a good listener to Gambler. I've done a lot to make sure Chrome never gets sour to riding and so far so good. He is the opposite of sour. He hates riding in the pasture and just wants to go out and ride (makes me think he might not make a great dressage horse...). He prefers the road over the yard, but the yard is better than the pasture lol. I am not an expert on saddle fitting, but they definitely do look too far forward. Definitely check and see if you can feel his shoulder in front of the saddle. Make sure it sits in the dip and not up against the bulge. It's hard to explain. I bet there are some videos on Youtube though. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do appreciate Gambler's input. He sends clear signals and usually knows just how to send them. The small buck when I was riding him for instance. When I was longing him in saddles that didn't fit he threw huge bucking fits to get his point across, but when I was riding he politely kicked up his heels which told me something without injuring me at all. So far Gambler seems to love being ridden. The only times he puts up a fuss are when he is bored or in pain. I'm not completely sure yet, but I've seen signs that indicate he might be less spooky under saddle.

      Delete
  3. That's great! Chrome is the opposite. He's much spookier under saddle than he is on the ground, but it's only in new territory. At home he's not spooky at all. Out on the road if I'm walking he's a lot more confident than if I'm riding. I guess he needs a buddy on his level for comfort. I hope someday he'll learn that I provide that comfort even when I'm in the saddle. Having Rocky along helps though. I'm so glad to finally have a buddy horse to ride with him. I just need to drag hubby out more often. :)

    Gambler is a really good boy and reminds me in some ways of Chrome at that age. I think you're going to have so much fun with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that Gambler remains calm when he's being ridden, which is what I mean when I say "under saddle" when Gambler is literally just wearing a saddle he is way more spooky that during normal groundwork or when I'm riding him.

      I am really proud of Gambler and how well he is doing. We are going to have some amazing adventures I hope!

      Delete
    2. Yeah that's what I meant by under saddle too. Chrome isn't spooky at all wearing the saddle or being ridden at home. He's only spooky when I'm on his back and off property because I guess he feels like he's alone or he's having to take care of us or something. I'm not sure what exactly is going through his head.

      I'm very happy Gambler isn't spooky when you're on him. That is a very good thing and I hope he stays that way. :D You are definitely going to have some great adventures. Raising young horses is so much fun!

      Delete
  4. You've got such a great head on your shoulders for all of this! It's really great to follow along with someone who really "gets it" so far as a young horse is concerned. You're leaps and bounds ahead of others 3x your age. Gambler is lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm by no means perfect, but I try my best.

      Delete