Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Riding the Rolly Polly Caterpillar (Nineteenth Ride)


I have found a form of communication that seems to work very well for Gambler. Starting on the ground, I cue him to go forward with an opening rein, a cluck, and a tap on the point of the hindquarters with the stick. I then steer with said opening rein and halt with a one-rein stop. He understands the cues on the ground and seems to be picking them up "under saddle" as well.

The biggest problem right now is me.

First, I am out of practice and out of shape. It doesn't help that my "little" pony-sized horse has a fat belly, and a wide back. It's less like riding a horse and more like riding a caterpillar. But seriously, I'm just really off balance when I am riding him. It's not the end of the world or anything, just something I need to keep in mind and work on.

In this picture I have an excuse for being off balance. I hadn't even settled onto his back when he started walking away - and I dropped the carrot stick. 
Second, I have not yet mastered the art of balancing lead-rope-reins and a stick while attempting to ride a green horse. We're talking about the girl who couldn't carry a tiny crop in a lesson without being throw off balance. It's not that I dislike crops, whips, and sticks; they all have their place; but I have never managed to carry them properly. I guess I had better figure it out now!

More balanced here, but trying to figure out what to do with everything in my hands. 

Overall, things are going quite well. Other than being a little nippy, Gambler hasn't shown any concern with being ridden. He will understand the cues better with time. He did spook once, when I dismounted and the carrot stick caught on the fence (again due to my clumsiness). He politely ran around me and then licked and chewed when he realized the fence wasn't going to eat him.

One-rein stop.

2 comments:

  1. He's looking so handsome still, caterpillar-ness aside! Keep up the awesome work :)

    ReplyDelete