Sunday, April 3, 2016

Option Five

Today my barn owner checked the fit of my saddle on Gambler. She came to the same conclusion that I did - it was too narrow. Thankfully, she had another saddle, one I hadn't tried, and it fit well. Gambler didn't react negatively to this saddle, which he has to every saddle I've tried (excluding the bareback pad). I don't have any pictures, but I'll try get some on Tuesday. 

Grooming "ground tied" Gambler
He is watching Sweetheart.


Not where I like to see his head.

I've been teaching Gambler to stop out on the circle and wait for me to ask him to come in.
Gambler was soooo lazy today. He did not want to canter.
Now there is a good head position.
A couple cavaletti to improve posture.
Gambler's color is more of a roan in the spring when he's shedding, but you can still see he dapples.



"Wait, Kezi is going somewhere?"
Suddenly, he found the will to canter.
That is the trot I like to see. 
"But - Kezi!"
After that warm up we tried the saddles. I cinched up saddle # 5 and circled Gambler, expecting a show. He only bucked once, however, and it wasn't really a buck at all. He just rounded his back and jumped into the first canter stride.

I used part of an old white sheet instead of a saddle pad to see if there were pressure points. It didn't work because the sheet didn't stay flat, but the sweat marks were even.

The saddle flapped around quite a bit because I wasn't using a saddle pad or a back cinch. Obviously, I will be using both in the future.

 I'd say it was a successful day. He was super lazy under saddle because Kezi was back in the pasture. It is a good sign, because in the past when I've saddled him he has wanted to rush into the caner, then stop suddenly, and buck. I believe we may have found the saddle we've been looking for.

5 comments:

  1. Love it! You're doing so well with him, great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Saddle success! Check the fit again when you use an actual saddle blanket because depending on how thick the blanket is it can change the fit. Has he had a rear cinch on before? I don't know why I even bother to worry since I know you'll test that out on the ground before getting on lol. You're very good at not skipping steps. That's one reason I love reading your blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I will get to check the fit with the saddle blanket today. That is actually a worry that I've had, because the blanket I used with other saddle seemed a little long for his back (this coming from a girl who has mostly ridden bareback or in a dressage saddle). I'm definitely going to longe Gamby in the saddle with the blanket and back cinch before getting on - don't want any unfortunate surprises! I don't know if he has ever had a back cinch before . . . he was partially started before I got him so he could have some experience. I think if he totally freaks about the back cinch I'll ride him without it and only put it on the saddle when I'm doing groundwork until he gets used to it.

      Delete
    2. Good plan! I did the same thing with my mare when I was younger. Even though she was well trained before I got her I had no idea if she'd ever had a rear cinch on so I did exactly what you're planning to do. :D

      Western blankets do seem really long when you're used to English pads hehe. The length isn't such a big deal (as long as it's just the blanket that's long and not the saddle.. a too long saddle can be bad, but from the picture the saddle didn't look too long), it's the thickness that changes things. A lot of people think adding a really thick pad makes up for saddle fit issues (in the Western riding world mostly) and it doesn't. It can actually make them worse (obviously if the saddle is too wide if can help, but it makes a narrow saddle even narrower). I really like wool pads, but they are expensive. I can't wait to hear how it fits with your saddle blanket. Fingers crossed it works!

      Delete
  3. Damn, I'm really impressed he hardly acknowledges the saddle bouncing about! That's a great sign for the future.

    ReplyDelete