Monday, March 14, 2016

Aaaaaand Trot! (Eleventh Ride)


When I first started working with Gambler I started with what I knew. I was familiar with the Parelli games and so I focused on laying basic ground rules and communication. Along the way I adapted it (and many other methods) to the unique situations Gambler and I came across. I kept coming back to those games, knowing that they would translate once I started Gambler under saddle. 

When Gambler became bored and testy a few days ago, I realized that I wasn't sure where to take his training. When I wondered how that had happened, I realized that I had neglected the foundation that I had built everything on. The games. The simple ground exercises that would lead to effortless communication once I was riding. So on Sunday, I went back to the basics. 

Gambler walking the fenceline as Mom takes Kezi for her daily stroll.





His alert stance. He looks butt-high in this photo, but he is standing on a hill.


I started out with the friendly game, tossing the string over his back, whacking it against the ground, wrapping it around his legs, etc. He is still a little tense - proof of my negligence. A year into his training we should be well beyond this step.

Then I went on to the porcupine game, communication through direct pressure. Gambler is not good at this game. He will lower his head nicely to pressure on the lead, but puts up a fuss if I push his nose or chest to ask him to back up. Forequarter yields are better, but he will only go a few steps before he tries to walk away. Hindquarter yields confuse him. 

Asking him to yield his forequarters.
Other side.
Rest and a head rub.
Attempting hindquarter yields, he kept trying to swing his forequarters toward me instead.
Still trying.

Back to forequarters.
The third game is the driving game, where you move the horse's body without touching him. This, of course, requires that the horse understand the porcupine game, so I'm skipping it until we get game # 2 down. Game four is the Yo-yo game. I wiggle a finger to ask Gambler to back up, if he doesn't back I shake my wrist, and keep upping the intensity until he backs away. Once he is at the end of the rope I tilt my head to the side and run my hands along the rope without pulling to ask him to come to me. This is Gambler's favorite game and he's exceedingly good at it. Right now I'm working on making him stand for some time before coming back to me.


And then we have six, my version of the circling game. I mix in a few longeing bits and pieces. For one, Gambler has never understood that I wanted him to complete the circle when my back is turned to him. To him that means I want him to stop and either come to me or (preferably) wait for me to give him instruction. Gambler's circling game is exceptional as well. Right now I'm working on canter transitions and getting him farther out in a bigger circle. 





Obviously the games need work before I translate them to riding. I am going to start working on them everyday, beginning as if Gambler had never been introduced to them before. I think that what he needs is a fresh start and an in-depth review. Green horses can use a lot of solid review. 

I rode Gambler anyway. Again, he found himself bored and offered a buck once or twice. By offered I mean he stopped and attempted to lower his head while slightly rounding his back. His feet never left the ground and I never let him get his head away from me. Years of riding horses that were not my own have given me lightening-quick anti-buck reflexes (not that they have kept me from falling off said horses on many an occasion). 

Since he was getting bored (and I was too lazy to drag the poles out of storage and put them back again afterwards) we decided to trot. It was a gamble (hehe), because he was already misbehaving and I had no idea how he would react to trotting. He was great! At first he didn't understand the cue, but once he figured it out he trotted without a problem. The only thing was that once he started he didn't want to stop. He didn't run away with me or anything, but he kept asking "Can I trot again? Please? What about now?"

After the ride.
He wouldn't pose for me!

8 comments:

  1. Good work. It's all about the groundwork. Trotting him was the right thing to day- bucking is the failure of forward so moving forward is always the answer.
    I know nothing about bare back pads but I wonder how f it's putting you too far over his withers- that will make him uncomfortable and may be leading to the buck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think groundwork is often under-rated. In a bareback pad, position is completely up to the rider (at least with the pad I have). I don't think the pad is to blame, but it is possible that I, being as out of shape and practice as I am, could be too far forward on his withers. I will definitely keep an eye on that in the future!

      Delete
  2. Good boy Gambler!! Chrome was the same way. He thought trotting was so exciting and he never wanted to stop hehe. He did though. :)

    I've never understood the Parelli's version of longeing. What is the point of standing there, ignoring the horse while it trots around you? The point of longeing is training and observing your horse, so why would you stand there and ignore him? Longeing shouldn't be about endlessly circling your horse while you stand there staring off into space to show off to all your friends how awesome they are... really it just seems like a way to show off to me. I don't get it, but maybe I'm missing something. I much prefer the way you do it! It serves an actual purpose! Anyway, sorry for getting opinionated there lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the point of the Parelli circling game is to teach your horse to follow instruction. You send the horse out on the circle at the speed you desire and expect them to stay at that tempo until given further instruction. The longe line is lax, you stand in one place, and the whip is gently sitting against your waist. It is a response to mainstream longeing where the horse is at the cery end of the line, actively driven forward by a whip pointed at the hocks and the movement of the person in the middle. As Parelli likes to say, most people's horses would be gone if that rope wasn't there. I like this concept, but every horse is different and I think my version works well with Gambler.

      Delete
    2. Oh I forgot, with Parelli circling you change directions every 3-4 circles, so that your horse stays attentive to your body and uses their brain instead of mindlessly circling out of habit. That part I do with Gambler since it is beneficial to a young horse.

      Delete
    3. Oh well I guess that kind of makes sense. I don't actively drive the horse forward though, even when longeing the traditional way... I just passively turn with them and only use the whip if they slow down or stop. So they are still learning cruise control, but I can also watch them at the same time. Of course I mostly use longeing to check for lameness... so I'd have to be watching LOL! Thanks for explaining the concept to me. :D

      Delete
    4. No problem. That sounds a lot like what I do with Gambler. When I first taught him to longe I had to nag him quite a bit, but as he grew to understand the concept I stopped. Every time I taught him a higher gait I had to bring up my energy, but again, after he understands what I'm asking l don't have to get after him. Right now Gamby is learning to hold the canter - he had a bad habit of falling back to a trot after a couple strides - so I'm transitioning from actively driving him forward to passively expecting him to stay at the canter until I ask him to trot.

      Delete