Saturday, April 23, 2016

Ninja (Sixteenth Ride)


Gambler and I had another exciting first today!

Playing the porcupine game to disengage his hindquarters.


Playing the circling game over a low cross-rail.
Longeing over jump standards is a pain, but Gambler loves to jump so I'll survive. :P Hopefully I'll be riding over them some day soon.



Since Gambler was jumping calmly instead of being a crazy critter like last time, I upped the height. 


Then I put the saddle on Gambler for the first time in a week or so. I tried a different saddle pad, which I think fits the saddle and Gambler's back better.
We played the circling game under the trees.
Then we played one of Gambler's favorite games, where I ask him to make half-circles, switching direction half way through each circle. Usually he jumps into a canter with each change of direction, but today he was worn out. Earlier Marguerite had ridden Kezi and Gambler spent at least half an hour running around the pasture.




That's more like it!







Because Gambler was so calm and worn out from his earlier exercise, I decided to ride him. Throughout our session he didn't buck with the saddle at all. I lowered the jump to a cross-rail again and sent him over it with the saddle. When even a jump didn't cause Gambler to buck, I mounted up. I still had Mom holding the longe line, and I had gaming reins attached to the halter. 

At first we just walked around the circle and changing directions and halting now and then. Gambler is definitely starting to relax and listen to the riders cues. Once I felt him relax I asked for the trot. For a few steps (about a quarter of a circle) he trotted without and issue. Then he bucked a little. I pushed him forward. Then he bucked a lot. I don't remember much, and what I do remember is in slo-mo (because that's how the mind works when adrenaline is rushing through your system), but I tried to pull him into a one-rein stop. I lost my hold on the reins and fell backward out of the saddle onto his butt and then landed on my feet behind him. 

After giving myself a once-over to make sure that nothing hurt in a dangerous way, I took the longe line from Mom and told Gambler to canter for several circles, changing directions often. I don't want him to learn that bucking means less work. Then I mounted up again. I didn't trot, because the bucking is an issue that only comes up at the trot and I need to form a game plan. I don't think rushing into battle without a plan is a good idea. But I'll have a post about that soon. 

I talked to Mom afterwards and she said that Gambler bucked and I came forward on the saddle, then he reared and spun, going one direction while I went the other. It sounds pretty much like all the bucking fits I've seen him have on the ground. My only injuries are a small bruise on my thigh from the saddle and a blood blister/rope burn on one of my fingers. 

Mom and I have been worried that something like this would happen and it would destroy Gambler's and my confidence. I would argue that it has just strengthened it. Like the first spook under saddle, the first fall is bound to happen, especially with a green horse. Now that it's over with, I feel that I will be able to ride more confidently in the future. 

And can we just take a moment to dwell on the fact that I landed on my feet!

10 comments:

  1. Landing on your feet is great. You must have done a somersault! I'm wondering if you can fasten a sandbag or feedbag onto the saddle so her figures out how to carry the weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I somersaulted. . . but I don't really know what happened. I think that the issue for Gambler is the sensation of a rider at the trot, which is so different from the sensation of a rider at the trot. But I'll have more about that in a future post.

      Delete
    2. The sensation of a rider at the trot is different from the sensation of a rider at the walk. That's what I get for trying to reply from my phone. ;)

      Delete
  2. He does so well with the saddle and groundwork, I'm surprised he bucked at the trot. I like Teresa's suggestion, if there's a way to do it. Glad you're okay. My close friend is also training a green horse to trot and came off on Friday. Hers got nervous and ran and turned and she came off at the turn, bruising her hand during the fall. Leah gets nervous. I think the balance issue with the rider is tough for them to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think the sensation of the trot is tricky too. I have a few ideas, but I'll post more about them later.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Landing on one's feet is basically the best thing ever...but damn is it ever hard to achieve every time. Wish it wasn't so difficult lol

    Glad you're okay and glad you got it over with! The threat of the first is always the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that I won't fall off again(knock on wood), but if I do I plan on landing on my feet!

      Delete
  5. That is so awesome that you landed on your feet!! I think that has only happened once or twice with me. It's rare anyway. The one time I remember clearly is when I was riding double with my sister. I was in the saddle and she was behind me. A little kid jumped out from behind a tree and my horse spooked sideways. My sister wasn't holding on to anything so she came off and landed on her hip and I came off, but landed on one foot with my other foot still in the stirrup. It was so funny because even though I came off on the right side I just swung right back into the saddle without ever taking my foot out of the stirrup. I don't know why, just habit I guess lol. My sister was fine by the way.

    I'm sorry you came off, but I'm glad you aren't hurt or shaken up. I still think the bucking thing is really weird..... could it have anything to do with his old back injury? I read a blog with a horse that has kissing spines and he was a bucker... here is her blog. I don't know if you read it. http://floppyammy.blogspot.com

    It just seems so weird that his first response to anything is bucking. However, you know him better than we do. All I know is what I read on the blog, so I don't see the day to day stuff where he's normal. Anyway I hope it's not his back and that you can figure out how to make that not his first response to everything. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the input, I will check out that blog. I dont think it is an injury, but I don't want to make any assumptions. He still bucks now and then if he is wearing the saddle and anything scary (aka wind) happens, so I think it is just a habit of his. No matter what it is, I'm confident we can work through it.

      Delete