Thursday, July 7, 2016

Reconnecting


The last few weeks have been full of changes. I've spent a lot of time driving. You will remember from earlier posts that I was terrified of driving, but I've discovered that I enjoy it. I've been working a lot more than I used to at a job that is not what I'm used to. The contrast between ranches and fast food is drastic. I've spent a lot of time considering the changes in my future - college, career, family? I'm overwhelmed. As every good horse person knows, horses reflect your inner being. Fear, passion, peace, your horse will tell you how you feel - and he won't sugarcoat it. So naturally, as I have tried to bury my stress, anxiety, and concern inside myself, Gambler has exposed it. 

The fear in his eyes is a reflection of my own. 

On Tuesday, I spent several hours at the barn. I didn't ride, or even put the saddle on Gambler. In fact, out of all the time I was there, I only spent ten minutes "working on something" with Gambler. And that "something" was a rambunctious game of stick-to-me. Most of my time was spent wandering the pasture, writing in journals, and taking pictures. 


Something about the sun and the plants and the bugs and (of course) the horses, refreshed my mind. A couple weeks ago, a good friend of mine told me that whenever she is sad she looks at the sky thinks about how blessed she is. That is some of the best advice I've ever gotten. So while I was at the barn, I gazed at the blue sky and the clouds and the sunlight on the treetops and thought about all the good things.


friends

family

horses

education

memories

nature

opportunities

freedom


I have never been as thankful as I should be. I blame my dissatisfaction on a relatively easy life. I take so many things for granted. Sometimes I just need to take a deep breath, look at the sky, and thank God for the little things instead of worrying so much. 

2 comments:

  1. I started a thankfulness journal and I keep it by my reading chair. Whenever I start to feel down or get stressed, I read over the entries to calm myself. What I see is an AMAZING life--and abundance. Sometimes I put myself to sleep by reciting (in my head) every thing I have to be thankful for, too, for the same reason--to calm my mind. Gratitude is truly the best medicine for almost every situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a thankfulness journal too! I just started it in January, but I haven't written in it as much as I should.

      Delete