Friday, August 28, 2015

The Big Question

When people found out I had a horse, I was overwhelmed by a torrent of questions. Equestrians and non-equestrians alike quizzed me, all asking basically the same questions. "How big is your horse?" "What kind of horse is he?" "How old is he?" "Is it a he?" "Do you ride him?" "When are you gonna ride him?" I got to the point where I could rattle off the answers to most of the questions in a single sentence. However, one question always threw me off. "What are you plans for Gambler?"

*mind blank*

As a person, I pay a lot of attention to how things are going to work in the long haul. I usually don't put effort into things or people that I don't believe will last. If I'm being honest, it isn't my best character trait, but it is what it is. That being said, when anyone asked me what my long-term goals for Gambler were, I found myself stumbling over my words. 


Getting a horse was never part of my plan. While I always wanted a horse, I wasn't planning on buying one before I was in or out of college. A horse didn't really fit into the current plan (By plan I mean, graduate high school, go to college for something, and try to make money somehow. It's a very unique and well thought out plan!). Now a horse is definitely part of that plan and I can't possibly imagine life without one. That doesn't mean I have any huge plans for my horse though. 


My original plan was to buy him, start and finish him, and then sell him. I might go with that, or I might realize I am way too attached to him to do that. I've never showed (shown?), but I've tagged along to friends shows. I cannot imagine myself getting into the show atmosphere, but I might show Gambler once he is finished. In the end, my plan is to train him as well as I possibly can and learn as much from him as I possibly can. Until I feel that we no longer have anything to learn from each other, I don't see any reason to worry about what will happen in the long run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment