Saturday, April 9, 2016

Fourteenth Ride


Before going to the barn today, I re-watched part of the Parelli Colt-Starting series. I bought the DVD a month or so after we bought Gambler and watched part of it. At the time, I was in a different part of Gambler's training, dealing with a different set of issues. Since the Colt-Starting series was so helpful then, I figured it would be helpful to watch it again. Honestly, I think I could watch it a dozen times and learn something new every time. 

Nota Bene: No one is paying me to say this. While I am most familiar with the Parelli natural horsemanship methods, I use a combination of other methods with Gambler. I definitely recommend the DVD series (available for sale on the Parelli website), because it has concepts that can strengthen your relationship with a green or finished horse. That being said, I realize many people don't like Parelli or natural horsemanship in general, which is fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and every horse-rider combination is different. The important thing is that everyone involved is healthy and happy.

A few things really stuck out to me as I was watching the Colt-Starting Series. One of them was this quote: "Probably the biggest key to horses is not what you do, but when you quit doing what you are doing." Parelli went on to explain that it all about putting the pressure on as slowly as possible and releasing it as quickly as possible with the slightest try. It's a concept that I already know, but sometimes I need to be reminded. 

Gambler becomes itchy when he is shedding.
Today I started at square one with Gambler. First, I brought him into the arena and groomed him. I am teaching him to ground tie with the rope thrown over his shoulders. I'm using the command "stand" which of course Gambler doesn't understand yet, but later I can use it for ground tying and for standing still while mounting. He is usually really good. The only time he walks off is when he wants to sniff/bite/paw the saddle, which of course is not okay. While Gambler was standing ground tied and I was brushing him, Kezi began galloping up and down the fenceline. I'm not sure what spooked her, but she galloped from one end of the pasture to the other along the fenceline of the arena. Thankfully she stopped after a couple times. Gambler reacted fantasticly! He threw his head up and spun around to look (I had him facing the other way, with his butt to the wind), but he didn't so much as walk away. Bravo Gambster!


Once he was somewhat clean, I led him into the middle of the arena and played the friendly game. I tend to hurry through this game without really playing it. I kinda toss the rope over his shoulders until he licks and chews and then hurry on to other things. Today, instead of that I spent a good amount of time really playing. I focused on my body language, making sure that I was relaxed, one leg cocked and usually not looking directly at Gambler. I threw the rope over every part of his body on both sides and smacked the ground with it and waved the stick around, all in rhythm, all while keeping my body language completely neutral. 

The difference it made in Gamble was huge. He nearly fell asleep, and the wind was gusting at 13mph today! After playing the first game I moved to the third (driving game), which Gambler and I have always struggled with. I rubbed the stick on his hindquarters, while keeping neutral, relaxed body language, then I looked at his hindquarters, crouched a little bit, raised my energy, and tapped the air next to his hindquarters with the stick. As soon as his hind leg stepped under, I relaxed my body again and rubbed his hindquarters with the stick until he stood still. By the end of the session his hindquarter yields had greatly improved. I believe my problem was that I was underestimating the friendly game, and not being clear enough with my body language. 

After that, I put the western saddle on Gambler again. Today he didn't grunt once through the entire saddling process. He also didn't buck at all when I circled him in the saddle. I think it really helped that he was calm and in tune with me from playing the friendly game earlier. 

Good form at the trot.


Grumpy about cantering, but not bucking.
That is more like it - look at those ears!
He didn't buck or bolt today (still haven't tried the back cinch yet), so I decided to ride. I did a little mounting prep, which he didn't have a problem with, and then Mom led us around a little bit. Next time, maybe tomorrow (knock on wood), I will ride him while Mom holds the longe line and if Gambler will walk, stop, trot, and stop from a trot without an issue I will start riding him solo.


Shaking the saddle.
Leaning on the saddle.
Pulling on and flapping the stirrup.

6 comments:

  1. I love how you had the little disclaimer written about Natural Horsemanship. It was so well written! I should do something like that on my blog. I used to train with Parelli, and he is great! I love the progress you have made with Gambler. Cannot wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I try to keep an open mind and a friendly atmosphere on my blog. I could be wrong, but I think Parelli and Clinton were trained by the same guy for a while. Their methods are definitely similar.

      Delete
  2. I don't dislike any particular trainers I just dislike some of the things they do... but that goes with any trainers, including my very own dressage trainer. I love her and most of the things she does, but there are things she does that I don't like. That doesn't mean I don't like her. I try to be open minded too. I just use what I like and what works from all the different trainers. There are a lot of people who really hate clicker training because they think all it is about is feeding treats to the horse. It's just because they don't understand the mechanics behind it. It really works and I love it. The problem is you can't judge clicker training by what I do and how I use it because I suck at consistency and I do things wrong which leads to misbehavior. That's my fault, not the clicker training lol. So I try to write a disclaimer about that too hehe.

    I'm so happy Gambler is improving so well (and that he didn't grunt). I think most of his issues are just that he's so green and unfamiliar with so many things. He's made HUGE progress with all of your hard work. I think he's a really good boy. I can't wait to see pictures and video of your first solo ride. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way. I don't think I've come across a single trainer that I didn't disagree with in one way or another. My motto is that I can learn something form everyone - even if it is just what not to do. Parelli has gotten a lot of flack because of trainers in his program who are abusive or don't have much "savvy" (horse sense). The problem with that is, you can't judge the entire program on a few cruddy trainers.

      Thank you! I'm very proud of Gambler, he has come a long way. Hopefully I can put that first solo ride on him sometime next week!

      Delete
  3. The photo of him biting his ankle is what I'm starting to see with my new horse, now that it's Spring. I'd never seen horses do this until moving here, and every horse that has lived here has done it. The vet told me it's a mite that lives in the grass and attaches to the pasterns but if the skin stays intact, it's nothing to worry about. I've sure seen some incredible stretches as they bite their rear ankles!

    Just found your blog today. I'm using my husband how you're using your mom with a horse the same age as yours. I've had only 3 rides and only with my husband at the horse's head because I don't have an enclosed area to ride in - just the trails, and I don't wanna die out there.

    Here's a verse for you: Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men.

    I think you're doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mites huh? That is really interesting. He did it last year, so I wondered what it was about spring that makes their ankles so itchy. Now I know!

      I hope you enjoy my blog. I've visited your a few times, but I'm kinda OCD about reading blogs start to finish, so I'm working on a couple others right now. Your blog is next on the list!

      That is a good verse. I don't always live up to it, but I do try!

      Delete