Saturday, January 23, 2016

Begin Again

I finally got out to the barn on Thursday. The good news is Gambler definitely missed me; the bad news, his training has fallen back again.

This has been the story of Gambler's training. He was started under saddle walk, trot, canter about two years ago. Then he sat in the pasture and fell back to old habits. Then I got him and trained him until mid July when I rehabilitated his back. During that time, he apparently forgot his training. Then I stepped it up in August/September, only to have it all fall apart in October and November. Finally in December I settled on just getting the farrier issue resolved. It was going so well! Then the cold hit and I missed a couple weeks. Now I'm back in square one yet again.

The good thing is that every time it takes a little less effort to catch up. Training a young horse is like having a kid (Or so I think, I've never had a kid), there must be consistency! This is the one area that I have not been strong enough in. My goal for this spring, especially once it warms up, is to be consistent in the training, so that Gambler can finally overcome this area of his training. He's officially five now, he's ready for legitimate riding. I just have to find time and persistence to make the best of his potential. I can't wait to see what happens!

Watching as we walk up to the barn.

Licking and chewing

5 comments:

  1. Well weather is an issue and I'm going through the same thing. Good thing spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, spring is my favorite season, or second favorite. I can hardly wait.

      Delete
  2. I think most horses are like that when they're young, but they gradually mature and retain more and more of their training....then you realize they're old. And you want to turn back the clock to when they were stinkers again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right, and I am very thankful for my little stinker. He can be a pain, but I love it. Greenies are so addictive!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete