Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Sun Is On My Side

Finally, daylight savings time has reversed (or however that works) and I have time to spend with Gambler. The sun doesn't set until 5:20ish, which gives me at least half an hour on school nights.

Gambler in his stall tonight. 
I went out to see Gambler again on Sunday and today. Both days we had really good sessions. Right now I'm leading him primarily from the right (off) side because he prefers the left. He's catching on fast. I'm discovering just how in tune to my emotions he is. If I watch him to see how he's reacting to me or am unsure of myself he puts up a fuss, but if I just do my thing and expect him to be okay with it, he complies.

In the cross-ties on Sunday.

He's continuing to improve with regard to picking out his feet. I can pick them all out without anyone holding him again, but he kicks out and moves around a lot. He's the worst with his front right foot, but I'll say more about that later.

Playing around with the bridle. 

He's been quite energetic. I can't say I'm surprised, since he's coming back into work after a month or so off. There has been much kicking up of the heels when I longe him, but I don't mind. He's been respectful of my space and listens to my commands, so he can throw in the aerobics if he wants to.

I've continued to put the bareback pad on every day and right now he isn't reacting to the cinch much if at all.

I've also done a good bit of mounting prep with him. I'm trying to find the balance between moving slow enough for him to be comfortable, but fast enough that he can't get bored. So far, so good, but it's only been two days.

There is one issue which I need to address. When I ask Gambler to yeild his forequarters - something dominant horses are notoriously bad at - he flips his head, pins his ears, strikes with a front foot, and if I keep pushing, rears. He is worst when I am on his right side, which is the foot he doesn't like me to pick up. He is also more rude during mounting prep when I am near that part of his body. That one issue is a roadblock in most of the areas I've been working on. It's definitely my next subject of focus.

4 comments:

  1. That is a tough one. I sold horse with that same issue about thirteen years ago, and she continued it with her new owner--a cowboy who used her as a healing horse. I saw him in the outside arena with her face toward the fence, and he had a "carrot stick" (before carrot sticks were a thing)--maybe it was a cattle prod--or anyway, a thick carrot stick type aid--and he was asking her to side pass away from him along the fence. When she would strike at him and try to rear, he'd smack/tap her with the carrot stick type aid, and she'd move away from him and continue to side pass. It took a great deal of skill and timing on his part, and I was glad I didn't have to do it anymore. The pressure they feel when they're first against the fence will usually cause them to balk--which is why timing, feel and release are so important. Here is a link to Clinton Anderson doing the exact same thing. https://youtu.be/M0TLXXkRXpY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should add, I regret having sold her, but her striking was pretty severe. She was a mustang--and her mother was pregnant with her when they adopted her from the BLM. When "Flash" was born, her mother would fight everyone off to protect--thus, the striking. You will probably have a much easier task than I did.

      Delete
    2. I also want to add...she was an excellent horse in saddle. Just awesome. She made an excellent healing horse and was super smart. He could drop his rope, and she would pick it up with her mouth and kind of hand it to him. He taught her other tricks, too...and rode her with a halter only most of the time.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for sharing this story! It is always helpful to know that other people have struggled with similar situations. I don't expect Gambler to be too difficult when I do address the issue. Right now the problem is that between the cold and the awkward footing due to freezing/melting/freezing snow, I don't have a good place to really push him through it. He is much more insecure on his right side regarding everything; saddling, leading, mounting, circling, so I hope that spending more time on the off side will solve the problem in part.

      Delete