Friday, May 6, 2016

Finally Back!

I haven't been able to play with Gambler in a week. First I made plans for the weekend, no big deal. But then I was sick and then I had homework. Everything seemed to be plotting against me! At long last I found my way back to the barn (and not a moment too soon).

Mom surprised me with a birthday present that I had asked for, but didn't really expect to receive. Wanna  know what it was? Here's a hint:


A new rope halter! I've been using a rope halter I purchased at Fleet Farm years before I knew Gambler existed. It has worked well enough up to this point, but the quality isn't fantastic and it doesn't fit Gambler.
Case and Point.
The Parelli website had sizing instructions, but I found them tedious and confusing so we ordered two sizes: Arab and Regular. I already have a Parelli halter in the Pony/Weanling size and Draft size, but obviously neither of those fit Gambler at all. 

Funny story I have to stick in here - Gambler and I were in the arena. I was grooming him before I tried the new halters so that they wouldn't get dirty if we wanted to replace them. He was more fussy about his feet than usual, so I looked around for something spooky. What I saw was Kezi gracefully meandering out of sight into a far pasture. Immediately I was on high alert. Mom was out of sight and ear shot with Sweetheart. Gambler was on the 12' line. There was no way I could get the gate open and let him go if he freaked. But then I looked at Gambler. He watched Kezi with an unconcerned look on his face, then he licked and chewed, and bumped me with his nose.

 I was surprised to say the least, but I figured that any minute he would notice she was leaving and freak. So I showed him the new halter. I took his old halter off and tried the Arab one. It was a little too small, so I removed it and left him loose in the ring while I grabbed the Regular size from the vehicle. Just as I got back Gambler threw his head in the air and I heard thundering hooves as Kezi galloped back toward us. I was expecting Gambler to run. He wasn't even wearing a halter! But I stroked his shoulder and said "easy" and he just stood there. Apparently somebody missed me. I should disappear for a week more often.


After all of that excitement, I finally tried the Regular halter. It is a tad big, but not nearly as big as the old halter. I left the halter on him without attaching the 12' line and wandered around the arena trying to get pictures. It wasn't official playing at liberty, because I didn't ask him to do anything, but he followed me like a puppy dog anyway.


Gambler shed out a lot while I was gone and his dapples are totally different.


Then we had to try it out. 



Drawing Gambler into the circle.


Asking Gambler to back.


He has been using his neck better lately, not flinging it up as much.


Hindquarter yield.
Then I took his halter off again and took more pictures.

Aaaaachooo!
Aaaaachoooo!




Random artistic shot.
Buddies

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you :) Gambler is such a handsome boy- I've always been a lover of gray horses and dapples <3

    ReplyDelete