Monday, February 15, 2016

Payday

Today was a long day. I got up at six (as usual on weekdays) to go visit a college. I really had no idea what to expect. In the end, I learned a lot and it wasn't nearly as bad as I made it out to be in my head. I got back just in time to change in super-speed and rush away to the barn.


The Feet:
I longed Gambler a little before the farrier got there, but it didn't do much good. Gamby was terrible. Not as bad as he has been in the past, but really, truly bad. He reared several times and kicked with three of the four feet. Thankfully, we have an amazing farrier who persisted kindly and gently through Gambler's tantrums. I think he has seen worse. The good news is that Gambler got better with each foot. He hardly fussed at all with the last foot. It is my hope that with a combination of daily work and the new farrier, we will finally overcome this hurdle in a few months.

Riding:
I rode Gambler today! It was the second time since I've owned him, the first time in four months.

After the farrier left, I put the bareback pad on Gambler and took him out into the arena to longe him for a while. I was displeased with his performance, so I took the opportunity to make sure that we were in tune to each other. Then I stood for a while, talking to Mom and the barn manager, while leaning on Gambler with my arm over his back. I did this on the right side for most of the time, because that is his weak side. Then I tossed the lead rope over his back and went to get the mounting block.

He stood there waiting for me.
"You just left me here..."
He was so good today. I started on his bad side and he didn't move away from the mounting block at all. Come to think of it, he only moved around once or twice the whole time, which has to be a personal record. I was able to jump over him sideways after only leaning on him a little bit. Usually it takes him a while and I have to slowly build up to it. From jumping over sideways, I jumped on. I have to admit, it was sloppy. 

I am fully capable of jumping onto a horse bareback, especially a 13.3hh horse, especially from a mounting block. But apparently I'm not capable of doing it prettily if it's cold or the mounting block is unsteady. 

Regardless, Gambler did very well. His only reaction was mild irritation. I think he was more concerned with attempting to bite Mom than he was with me on his back. Once I was sitting astride, Mom led Gambler in a little circle. When he was standing by the mounting block again, he asked him to stand still and I jumped off. I did the same thing from the other side and then we called it good. That is behavior I want to reward!

After I dismounted for the second time, Mom got out her flip phone to text someone and Gambler thought it looked like food. 


Liberty:
To finish off the day on a good, fun note, I played with Gambler a little at liberty. He circled perfectly at a walk, and I decided not to push it to a trot just yet. He led politely for a little while and then got distracted by Kezi. 

I brought out his big green ball to play with. He had a lot of fun with it, but I couldn't keep the ball inside the fence. I didn't want Gambler to get any ideas and Kezi was getting pretty nervous, so we put the ball away. 







"I can't reach it."

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so good to finally get to the point I've being trying to reach.

      Delete
  2. So many positives! Great to read. Love the last ball photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day! I like that photo too. I'm glad he waited for me instead of going through the fence after it.

      Delete
  3. Nice work. What a full day for you guys. It looks like he really enjoys that ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite the day. I hope that today proves to be just as fun and productive. The ball is his personal favorite, but I have to find a way to keep it on the inside of the fence.

      Delete