Sunday, March 13, 2016

Problems and Solutions (Tenth Ride)



On Saturday I rode Gambler for the tenth time. Our session was mostly uneventful, a welcome change after the hurricane winds and the tractor of doom. There were a few ups and a few downs. On the positive side, I mounted Gambler without as much mounting prep as I have in the past. We had a good ride without any one getting scared or hurt. The negatives: Gambler is becoming bored with our rides and threatened to buck a couple times. 

To clarify, it was only the slightest of threats. I've been bucked off of horses before and I've felt well-trained horses threaten to buck. With Gambler it was so slight that I thought I might have imagined it (Mom saw it, and it happened a couple more times, so I didn't imagine it). I don't think that he was angry or afraid, it was a "this is boring let's do something more fun" sort of thing. 

The problem that I am now faced with is this: how do I solidify the basic aids in Gambler's brain without boring him out of his mind, getting bucked off, or teaching him that threatening to buck is a legitimate way to get out of work?

While thinking over this problem, I realized that Gambler and I's journey has been a series of problems and solutions. Each problem is a step in the right direction. Every problem we overcome builds the bond of trust between us. This is just another problem, another rung on the ladder, and I already have an idea of how to climb it.

But that's for another post. ;)

8 comments:

  1. I have the same English headstall as you!! I use a D-ring bit in it when I use it to ride Ollie in English..which isn't very often anymore...

    I should ride English tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a D-ring bit for it too! Right now I'm using it as a bitless bridle to start, but I've put it on Gambler with the bit a couple times. I'd love to see pictures of Ollie in English tack.

      Delete
  2. The solution to solving boredom and reconfirming aids? GROUND POLES! In all sorts of interesting patterns that you can modify. They'll help structure your workouts and help keep his brain really focused. The Horsephysio page on facebook has some great options. May check pinterest for ideas, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly! I've been a tad lazy because I have to drag the poles out and drag them back again (in case it snows) but we will be doing a lot with ground poles in the near future. It does wonders for a horse's topline!

      Delete
  3. I like Liz's idea! Ground poles would definitely give him something to focus on. I'm glad he didn't take it any further than a threat. It's so hard in the very beginning because they don't know anything, so when they misbehave it's not like you can discipline them or anything.... have you been doing the lateral flexion (one rein stop) practice while mounted? I do that whenever Chrome is getting too excited or refusing to stand still. It works really well because it gives him something else to focus on and he gets tired of it quickly so he decide behaving is much easier lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been practicing the one-rein stop - although probably not as much as we should. Gambler's woah is on point, but the go needs some work.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, Chrome went through a major balky stage! It was so annoying. I actually fixed it with one longeing session. I had him walk around me and when I asked him to trot, if he didn't, I would pop the whip really loud right behind him. He quickly learned when I said to trot, he'd better trot. That carried over into the walk too. I don't think Gambler will get bored now that you've added in some trot though, so you should be good. Just don't forget you can reinforce the go forward NOW cue on the longe where you don't have to worry about bucking. Since he already knows how to longe and the voice cues, it should be easy, just insist on immediate reactions so he realizes he has to go instead of balking. You know all of that already though. Sorry for rambling! :D

      Delete
    3. I dont mind the rambling at all! One of the major pluses of having a blog is all the feedback. I know that if I'm ever stuck on something there is plenty of helpful advice just a click away. I've taken a week or so off of riding (mostly due to unpredictable spring weather) and I've been using this oportunity to solidify Gambler's transitions. Now that we have reviewed the voice cues, upward transitions under saddle should be smoother.

      Delete