Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Lessons (Never) Learned

You'd think by now I'd know that whenever I plan out my session with Gambler something will cause it to go awry. But that is a lesson I never seem to learn. Today I thought it all out. If the ground was frozen, I'd stick to picking up his feet and mounting prep. If the footing was okay, I'd play stick-to-me on line. However, when I got to the barn Kezi and Gambler were in the weirdest mood. Think playful and grumpy; spooky and chill. I guess they just didn't like the cold and the wind.

Watching me through the window.


Zoooooom!

Having an argument.
Anyway, I tried to lure them out of the arena into the pasture with a little handful of hay so that I could close off the arena (in case anyone is wondering, the arena is part of the pasture that can be sectioned off). Usually this works, but today instead of eating the hay, they just followed me around bucking, kicking, squealing, pinning their ears at each other, kicking each other. You name it, they were doing it. I would have just asked my Mom to hold them while I shut the fence, but she was running a quick errand. Instead I decided to bring them in and feed them. I could take Gambler into the arena if I still had light afterwards, or just pick out his feet in the cross-ties. 

I prepared their grain and opened the gate to let them into the barn. The way the barn is set up, the one gate opens straight into the pasture. Each horse knows where his (or her) stall is so all I have to do is open the door. Well today Kezi and Gambler ignored their grain, trotted all the way to one end of the barn, then spun around and trotted all the way back out. They would have come back in again, but I shut the gate and told them sternly, "You have to stop acting so ditsy first!"

So I stood there and waited. They seemed to lose interest in getting fed. They just stood stock still looking out to pasture. To give you an idea of how still they were (like horsie statutes) I got several pictures of Gambler's face in focus, even in the bad lighting. On most occasions it is very hard to get a good picture of Gambler's face because he never stops moving.










Check out those dapples. I'm excited to see if Gambler will grey out any more, or stay this color permanently.



Abruptly, Kezi and Gambler headed out into the pasture. Then they came back again. I got a really nice video of Gambler cantering back, but the camera spazzed out because of the cold and it was lost. 



When they got back I attempted to let them into the barn again. This time they just stood there and looked at me like I was crazy. "Why would you possibly want us to go into the barn we always go into at the time we always go into it and eat the grain we always eat?"

Then my mom got back. Of course, when she opened the gate they walked into their stalls like perfectly normal horses. I see how it is!

I asked my mom to hold Gambler while I picked out his hooves so that she could back him up when he misbehaved. I picked out three of the four today! I was very happy to see that his back feet weren't nasty, because I haven't picked them out for weeks and I was starting to worry about thrush. I had no reason to worry. Both back feet look fine and the one I picked out hardly had anything in it. Gambler will now let me pick out his front left foot without complaint and his back left and front right foot with complaint. That one foot, the back left, is his worst. He still does not like to have me pick it up and has a tendency to kick out. 

All in all, it wasn't a bad day, even though it didn't go according to plan. Gambler is improving and I am enjoying myself. Really, that's all that matters. 

2 comments:

  1. Cold and wind will do that to horses. I'm all too familiar with the behavior, haha.

    And I put money on him greying out more; grey is a process as much as it is a color after all! Caveat being I think Gambler's greying process is going to be much slower than others. Definitely take photos around the same time each year and compare! I see photo reminders in my timehop re: certain dates and I try to take pictures on the same day in the same place every year now of Griffin. He's SO DIFFERENT. He's greying out far faster than I wish he would, haha. But I do have faith his mane will be dark for a long while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gambler has definitely greyed out since I got him. It will be exciting to see what happens. He is a little dark for a four-almost-five-year-old, so I agree that he's a slower greyer (the verbifying of the word "grey" cracks me up). We'll see what happens when he sheds out next spring.

      Delete