Wednesday, February 3, 2016

February

January wasn't the best month of blogging. In fact, I wrote less in January than I have since the beginning. There are multiple reasons for this.

First, because of cold and wintery conditions and daylight savings time, I spent less time with Gambler than I have in the past.


Second, when I did spend time with Gambler, it was in a dimly-lit barn doing the same things over and over again. I could have basically re-posted the same events four times a week, but that would have been a waste of my time and yours.


Third, I had a lot of other focuses in the month of January. It was a good month, during which I grew as a person, and those things that taught me so much distracted me from this blog.

But now it is February, and I'm back in the game. I can't control the winter weather - that is entirely up to God - but I now have at least half an hour of daylight after school. That means that on the days when the weather does comply, I will have a variety of things to work on and plenty of time to do them.

Weather permitting, I hope to finally start riding Gambler this month. "Riding" being a loose term meaning that I am sitting on his back while he is moving. I've spent a few days revisiting the mounting process with Gambler and already I see improvement. I'm learning when to back off and reward good behavior and when to press forward to keep him from getting bored.

I would also like to start playing at liberty again, because I know it is something both Gamby and I enjoy. Problem is, Gambler has a ton of energy that won't totally dissipate until late spring/early summer when the footing is safe enough to give him an intensive work out. It is unlikely that he will focus enough to stay connected to me at liberty. For that reason, I'm going to spend time playing the stick-to-me game on line, re-familiarizing him to the concept, but with a lead rope to act as a safety net if he gets too exuberant.

The feet continue to be an issue. Gambler had gotten very good about picking up his feet, but then fell back into old habits. There are a few changes. He was worse with his back feet, but now it's the front feet that he puts up a fuss about. I'm going to continue to pick out all of his feet every time I see him until the scenario becomes commonplace and he accepts it as part of life.

As for my February goals for myself, I am going to start posting regularly again. I'm going to try to get good pictures and write helpful and entertaining text.

I wrote this post on the third, only to get too caught up in life to remember to edit and post it. Obviously that goal still needs work. The good news is that the other goals are coming along nicely. I can pick up and pick out Gambler's feet on my own again. He isn't anywhere near as good as he was (definitely won't let me pick them up with one hand and take a picture), but he is improving and that's what matters. The farrier is coming out on Monday. Sadly, I won't be there (college visit), but I'll let you know how it goes.


The journey to riding my horse has been a long and complicated endeavor, but once more we are on the right track. Yesterday I laid over Gambler's back on my stomach three times. He was a little freaked out by my boots - I don't think he knows they are part of me - but other than that didn't react negatively at all.

We had a breakthrough on Tuesday. I was having a bad day and engaging in a teen-girl-cry-fest. Since I was at the barn I went out to snuggle my horse. It was freezing. Below freezing actually. So I snuggled up really close to him to keep warm. Then I leaned on him and put my arm over him. Somehow, through our bonding session, Gambler made the connection between the hated mounting prep and spending time his his human herd. At least, that's my theory.

I haven't played with Gambler much, just because it's been so cold. I have, however, played a little stick-to-me, specifically on his right side. Time away has made us both grow fonder of each other I think, because even as full of energy as Gambler is, he has been more willing to listen to me.

I think he has been lonely. But now I'm making time for him, and I'm not letting myself make any more excuses. Real life is about to catch up and I'm not letting Gambler go. He is my dream-come-true and I am going to take that seriously. Everything is about to change.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't had much luck with the weather either. Can't wait for you to ride him!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sorry that you're coping with winter weather too, it's rough.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete