Sunday, April 24, 2016

Evaluation


When I wrote about the bucking incident yesterday, I purposefully didn't go into the whys and wherefores. I wanted to take time to think it through, run over the events in my head a few hundred times, research possible solutions, receive advice, and form a game plan. Now that I have done those things, I am ready to evaluate what happened, why it happened, and how I can keep it from happening again.

What happened?


Gambler wasn't using his "left brain" (yes I am aware that left-brain, right-brain is a myth, everyone uses both sides - I am just using the terms to represent a horse's mentality) and acting as a partner. Instead, he was acting defensively, like a prey animal who needs to survive. 

Why did it happen?


I've done a good job of getting Gambler to use the left side of his brain and act as a partner on the ground before I mount up. Once I get into the saddle, however, I stop playing the games and start riding. Gambler has been sending me "yellow lights" at the halt and at the walk. He has been bracy, not responsive. Instead of recognizing that Gambler was uncomfortable and getting off and playing or staying on and playing the games I pushed him into a trot. Having already sent me signals to slow down, Gambler sent a clear "red light." 

Things that went wrong:


The longe line - I've had Mom circling Gambler on the longe line because I believed it was more safe. From the events of last night, I'd say it's not much safer. The only thing it stops Gambler from doing is bolting, and I've never had him bolt under saddle (knock on wood). When I tried to pull Gambler into a one-rein stop (more on that later) I couldn't because the longe line was pulling his head in the opposite direction. This caused the situation to be even more dangerous. 

I fell off - Thankfully I landed on my feet and wasn't hurt at all, but falling off is still a really bad thing. Gambler now knows that he can buck a rider off to get out of work. Falling off once isn't horrible, falling off twice is bad, and if I fall off three times we're going to be in a lot of trouble. If he forms a habit of bucking people off, I will have created a problem horse. 

Things that went right:


One-rein stop - My first instinct while Gambler was bucking was to pull him into a one-rein stop. This is really good because I have never actually been in a situation where I had to stop a horse in that manner, or I have never thought to do it. I've been telling myself that's what I need to do, but I had no idea if I would remember in the moment. 

Landing on my feet - The fact that I landed on my feet means that while I didn't stay on the horse, I did keep my balance. That is encouraging because it means I am more likely to stay on in the future, especially since I am more confident. 

Confidence - As I briefly mentioned in the last post, Mom and I have been worried that if I was bucked off it would destroy my confidence and/or Gambler's confidence and our trust in each other. But after I was bucked off, neither of us were phased by it. I had adrenaline pumping through my system, and when I mounted again I was more wary, but neither Gambler nor I were visibly shaken or worked up. In fact, I think now that the thing we've been dreading has occurred, we can move forward with more boldness. 

How can I keep this from happening again?

First, I am going to continue playing with Gambler on the ground while he is wearing the saddle to build his confidence and encourage him to work with me as a partner. 


Second, I am going to play around with the mounting process so that he sees it as another part of the games. I am going to make sure that he gives me a green light at every phase of the mounting process. 


Third, I think I'm going to ditch the longe line. That doesn't mean I'm not still going to have my mom watching me carefully - you bet I am! But the longe line won't stop me from getting bucked off (as we've seen), and without it I can do things like disengage Gambler's hindquarters, taking away his power to buck. 

Forth, I'm going to play with Gambler while riding at the walk, specifically the friendly game and the porcupine/driving game with his hindquarters and forequarters. This will build his confidence at the walk and give me more control in the case of another bucking fit. 

Finally, when Gambler gives me all green lights at the walk and I can easily pull him to a one-rein stop and yeild his hindquarters, we will start trotting again. If he bucks again, I will pull him to a stop with one rein, move his hindquarters, and put him to work at the walk. Then we'll trot again. 

So that is the evaluation. Of course, with a green horse (or any horse), the plan is always under construction. This is just a skeleton, a game plan to alter as the occasion calls, because good leaders always have a plan and are always flexible (more Parelli lingo).

4 comments:

  1. FWIW, to stop the bucking once it starts, getting the horse's head up is most effective vs. one rein stop just because that head down gives leverage to keep bucking. But definitely agree working to prevent bucking is best approach. Green horses take time. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the one-rein stop method, because I like to give the horse room to move its feet. After doing some more research, however, I've realized that one-rein stops don't help much unless you disengage the hindquarters at the same time-taking away the power in the haunches. That is something Gambler and I will be working on!

      Delete
  2. It is good that your first instinct was to do a one rein stop, it just sucks that it was the wrong direction lol. So something I would have done hehe. I haven't really ever started a horse on a longe line, but I always thought it was the safest way too. This does make me wonder about that. If it's any comfort I started Chrome off of one and he was fine.

    Part of me wonder if the reaction wasn't because of the more high energy play you've been doing on the longe. If you think about it, you've been asking him to switch directions and jump into the canter... so maybe he's associating those games with being on the longe and forgot you were up there? Regardless, I think nixing the line is a good plan.

    Also keep practicing the one rein stop a LOT. Even if it doesn't help with bucking, it definitely does help with bolting. Since that's the only thing the line was preventing, having the one rein stop will make is safe to not have the line. For the one rein stop to work you have to practice in constantly at the halt, then the walk, then the trot, etc. When you add speed it's a whole different ball game.

    I once had an OTTB that I got from a lady who used Clinton Anderson's methods and she religiously practiced the one rein stop. So when I got him I kept practicing it. One day I was riding him with my sister and dad out in a field, headed toward home. Dad was riding a slow horse and trotted to catch up. The OTTB took that as an invitation to take off, bucking. Well, it was more like leaping, because he didn't know how to buck and didn't actually lift his butt or anything. I automatically did the one rein stop and he came to a perfect, polite halt as easy as you please because it was so ingrained in his brain. He didn't circle, he didn't fall, he didn't run with his head sideways, he stopped. All because we had practiced it over and over and over until it was an automatic response. You can't force a horse to stop or turn it's head, but you can build muscle memory that can save you in a bad situation. I'd always been skeptical of it up until that day. Then I was convinced. So I highly recommend it. I really need to practice it more with Chrome too, especially at the walk and trot, because I haven't done that yet. I always do it at the halt and that's not going to do me any good if he was to bolt. In fact the only time I came off was because he spooked, spun and bolted. If he'd known the one rein stop he might have stopped instead of running sideways out from under me when I lost my balance and pulled on one rein. So I need to practice what a preach lol.

    P.S. Sorry for the long comment and sorry for not proofreading it. I'm trying to make the most of my limited time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't apologize for the long comment, it is extremely helpful! I hasn't thought about the correlation between high-energy games and bucking under saddle so I will keep an eye on that. I need to practice the one rein stop more. I'm not sure how familiar Gamby is with it. I've practiced it for a while, but not consistently.

      Delete