Sunday, April 10, 2016

A Blustery Day. . . Eight Months Later


Ta da! I present to you the horse eating trees blowing wildly in the wind that was gusting at about 17mph. Oh, and in the corner is Gambler, walking calmly in the saddle. 


I had no idea what to expect today. It was insanely windy, as windy as wind tunnel day when Gambler bucked and bolted and generally spazzed about the trees and the saddle and the wind. Yesterday was windy, however, and Gambler didn't mind it at all. As I walked Gambler into the arena to groom him, I watched him carefully, trying to gauge the kind of horse I was dealing with. He was spooky, but still using the thinking side of his brain.

Slowly, with a lot of friendly game, I convinced him to walk, trot, and canter when I told him too; without bucking or bolting. Then I saddled up and repeated the process. He only bolted once, and it was a few steps at the trot. He didn't buck once. I almost rode him, but decided not to push it. One bad experience is all it would take to set us back in his training. 

This day reminded me of another day, eight months ago.  

August '15: "I have to get away from the trees!"
April '16: "Okay Mom, if you say it's safe . . ."
August '15: "I'm telling you Mom, those are horse-eating trees!"
April '16: "This isn't too bad."
August '15: "I guess you'll keep me safe."
April '16: "I know I'm safe in the middle of the circle with you - it's my relaxing place."
August '15: Look at him, listening so politely.
April '16: He has the same expression - one ear on the trees, one ear on me.
August '15: He's looking at me for once, not the trees.
April '16: He's watching me while we play the friendly game. 

August '15: Ear rub *sigh*
April '16: Somebody's chin is itchy.
August '15: "He did spook four or five times (bolting to the end of the rope, often with a buck or two), but they didn't last long, and he always turned his attention back to me immediately after."

April '16: "He only bolted once, and it was a few steps at the trot. He didn't buck once."


August '15: "Instead of doing canter work like we have been for the past few days, I spent the session trying to get a couple circles at a calm, steady trot, or even better, a walk. After a lot of patience and encouragement, he did eventually slow down and relax."

April '16: "Going slowly, with a lot of friendly game, I convinced him to walk, trot, and canter when I told him too; without bucking or bolting. Then I saddled up and repeated the process."


I'd say that Gambler has shown a little bit of improvement! 

Asking Gambler to back out onto the circle.
Look at the reach on that inside leg.
Can-ter!

Here my Mom capture a hindquarter yield. 

Not sure why I'm walking like that . . . 
You can't see much of Gambler here, but again look at the reach on that inside leg

3 comments:

  1. He has improved a LOT!! Always remember when you're gauging what horse you have that day to always act like you expect a confident, happy horse. They can read us so well that if we are expecting a spooky horse a lot of the time that's what we will get. If we act like everything is no bid deal then so does the horse. I think that's been part of my problem with Chrome while riding out on the roads. I've been expecting him to be a spooky, spaz so he has been. However when I'm riding with friends and chatting away, not thinking about Chrome spooking, he doesn't. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very good advice! Gambler tends to live up to the expectations people put on him - good or bad. If you expect him to be naughty or afraid he is 60% more likely to be naughty or afraid.

      Delete
    2. Chrome is too. The hard part for me is remembering that in the moment lol.

      Delete