Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving

Yesterday I went out to the barn just to do chores. I meant to get a lot done with Gambler over Thanksgiving break, but yesterday I was just in too much of a funk. I did spend some time with him, grooming him and thinking about how happy I am that he is alive. It is too easy to take the things in our lives for granted. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I guess they aren't used to the hunters yet. If you look closely, they are watching an orange-clad figure near the treeline.

I love taking pictures of them through the windows.

Still watching the hunter. You can see him a little better here. I can see why they wear orange, it's very visible.

Chowing on the hay as Mom and I were leaving.

Today it snowed. Big fluffy puffballs of frozen water floated down from the sky to cover the ground in a untainted white carpet. I've been saying that if it only snows on Thanksgiving and Christmas I'll be happy, so far that's how it is. We just have to see how long this snow is going to stick around. Today was the first time I drove in snow. I'm not fond of it. Driving in the snow makes driving in the rain look easy. I don't like driving at all - it freaks me out - and driving in winter weather is not fun. The things I will do for this crazy horse.

They were pretty worked up today. I'm not sure if it was because of the snow, the hunters, or the hunger . . .or all of the above.


They would not hold still. 



That face.

Gambler walked into his stall and then right back out of it before I could shut the door. The barn door was shut, so he just wandered around in the barn getting into trouble. He went into an empty stall (I say empty, but it was full of random stuff) and scared himself, but in the end was no worse for wear. It's a good thing the little stinker is easy to catch.





It was so beautiful. I have discovered that I love taking pictures in the winter. The snow adds an artistic element to even the most mundane objects. The trees look so magical with snow clinging to their branches. Since the light was fading, I'll probably try to get pictures with better lighting sometime.









Looking at these pictures I realized that I have pictures of the barn in every season now. It's been a long (and still very short) eight months since I got Gambler. He has challenged and changed me in ways that I never even imagined. I've learned so much about life and hard work and determination. God has used this little horse to teach me to be thankful for every moment and never take things for granted. Even on days that seem pointless, when I am in a rut or Gambler doesn't understand or the weather isn't cooperating, I am learning to look on the bright side. The next moment could be the last. I have to press on so when it's all over I can look back and say, "I made the most of every moment." I am so blessed. Somedays it doesn't seem fair how much God has given me when I see what people around me are going through. Of course most of the time I selfishly wish I had more. I encourage everyone reading this to take a moment to realize how precious life is. Its too easy to forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment