Saturday, November 21, 2015

The Cold is Here

Isn't this amazing? I caught a glimpse of it from my bedroom window and had to take a picture.
It's starting to feel like winter around here. This morning it was only 16 degrees and there were snowflakes in the air. The snow hasn't accumulated on the ground yet (not since that first snow in October) but it shouldn't be too long. I've decided I don't mind the cold and snow. Freezing rain is much worse for horse-related activities.

I got to see Gambler today. It was late afternoon when we got to the barn. Today was the hunting opener (that's what it's called right?) and the horses were riled up. Gambler was scared of the gunshots, but whenever he started to freak out I asked him to lower his head. It's amazing how much it affects him. I knew that when a horse's head was down he was relaxed, but I didn't know that you could relax a horse by asking him to lower his head. 

Today I worked on lowering Gambler's head and leading him without letting him bite me. I asked him to walk forward and if he threw his head up I stopped and asked him to lower it again. If he tried to bite me I bumped his nose and made him rapidly back up for a couple steps. Repeat numerous times. After a while he got the idea. I also threw the saddle pad up on his back and off again and on again and off again several times. Repetition is key with this horse. Then Mom held him while I did more mounting prep. He was more antsy today, but that was because of the hunters.

It wasn't an incredibly productive day, but that's okay. Next time we will be more prepared for the cold. Plus, Thanksgiving vacation is coming up soon, which means more time to spend with Gambler. He is coming along well, but the lack of consistency is holding him back. I hope that a few good days in a row will be just what he needs. 

"Peek-a-boo! When are you gonna feed me?"



No comments:

Post a Comment