Sunday, February 21, 2016

Attempt 1

I am a writer. Not an author (yet), but a writer. Right now I'm taking a creative writing course. I have three or four projects and one short story due per quarter. The way it is set up I have a lot of time to write and rewrite and rewrite and rewrite my drafts. I keep every draft, because I like to see the way that the project or story evolved from an idea to a completed assignment. I label each draft as Attempt (fill in the blank).

I promise this ties into horse-related things. Yesterday my mom and I tried to long-line Gambler for the first time. It wasn't disastrous, but it wasn't perfect either. It was Attempt 1.

Kezi and Gambler met us at the barn as they usually do in the winter. Hay is a good incentive.



As you can see, the pasture is a mess. Most of the arena has become a small lake. Do you see the red bucket upside down in the lake? Yeah, that was probably Gambler's doing. 
We brought the horses in and gave them their grain per usual. We also brushed them because their coats had gotten wet and dried. Brushing the coat out so that it is dry and fluffy keeps them warmer. 

I've been reading through another great blog, Equestrian Journey. I'm still several years behind, but I'm getting there. As I was reading, I came across the post where she turned her bridle into a bitless sidepull. I've been trying to find a good way to do that for some time. Turns out, it's a lot simpler than I thought. Here is the finished product:

I took this pic before I realized the flash was on. He thinks he is in the cross-ties. Shhh don't tell him he isn't.
But you can put him in the cross-ties because there is no bit.
Looking smart!
I honestly believe he knows that I'm taking pictures. When he hears the camera click he freezes and perks up his ears. 
Due to the state of the swamp arena, we put Kezi in the arena and brought Gambler into the main pasture for his session. They were a little confused, but no one had a heart attack. I played the circling game a little and then attached two longe lines to the bridle. I started out with the lines and Mom leading. Later we switched. I haven't decided which way works best yet.

There were a few problems that need to be sorted out:
  1. The person with the lines was yelling instructions to the person leading, but weren't using the cues that Gambler recognizes. For instance instead of clucking or saying "walk on" we were saying things like "okay" or "go." 
  2. The footing was gross. There isn't much we can do about that right now, but it's important to recognize that both humans and horse were distracted by the slush. 
  3. There wasn't a good transition into the long lining. We went straight from "normal" circling game (I don't think anyone longes the way I do so normal isn't the right word) to someone walking behind him with two lines. I want to somehow incorporate the two lines into "normal" circling so that he makes a better connection. 
We stopped after only a few minutes so that we ended on a good note. I didn't want to push it too far before I had smoothed out the bumps. Even with the confusion and inconsistencies, Gambler seemed to pick it up quite quickly. I was impressed, since sometimes he has trouble following a feel on a rope. As with riding, his only negative response was grumpiness and threatening to bite. That needs to stop. The positive side is that he wasn't afraid or panicky, just confused and bored. 

We switched Kezi and Gambler so that Gamby got his extra hay in the arena. There was a beautiful sunset. I tried to get a picture, but it was too dark. My phone just couldn't pick up enough light. 




I was sorry that this pic turned out so grainy. I'll have to try again with a real camera in better lighting.
I'm headed out to the barn again in a few hours for Attempt 2. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.  

5 comments:

  1. My plan is to start Gambler bitless and introduce a bit later. I would like him to be comfortable with both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad my post on the bitless bridle helped you out!! Isn't it neat how easy it is?? It looks really cute on Gambler. I never really did much with the long lining either. I just didn't have the right place to work with it (no arena, too many trees/hills lol) and we were both getting frustrated. I've read a lot on the transition between longeing and long lining, but I haven't tried it because Chrome isn't allowed to do a lot of circles due to his stifles. Did you ever try longeing him with two ropes? I have a really awesome book that breaks all of the steps down that you might like to check out. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1570764093?keywords=horse%20training%20in%20hand&qid=1457796809&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1 I really love the book. I just haven't been able to try it out because of the no circles thing. Once I get him back into shape I might start slowly adding circles (have to at some point or we will never be able to do dressage) and try it then. It's always good to do in hand work even if they are already being ridden hehe. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the long-lining one more time (started by longeing with two ropes) and haven't really done much with it since. It seemed to confuse Gambler more than anything else. When I tried plough-reining Gambler with the bridle he seemed to understand it right away. Since that was the point of long-lining him, I haven't given it much thought. It is quite possible that I will give it another go in the future, and when I do I will certainly check out that book!

      Delete
    2. Yeah that's how it was for us too. It just confused and frustrated us so we skipped it. I would like to do it anyway someday like the book shows just because it's something else we can learn, but it definitely didn't prevent us from getting the basics of riding down without it. :)

      Delete