Friday, February 26, 2016

Fifth Ride

I mentioned a couple posts ago that I didn't think that Gambler's halter would fit under his halter. Well, I made it work. It doesn't fit very well - and the noseband may or may not be buckled under the halter while the rest of the bridle is over it - but it works for now. The goal is to wean him off of being led as soon as possible so I can ride him in just the bridle. 

Another benefit of riding Gambler w/o a handler is that Mom can get pictures of me riding him!
Posing as always.
The ride was quiet, simple, and our longest ride so far. Kezi was in the arena to eat her grain, so I rode Gambler out in the pasture.

On whim, I led Gambler up to the mounting block myself. Mom has been holding him at the mounting block because, as you will remember, he has been walking away and trying to bite and generally cause chaos during the mounting process. Well yesterday I led him up to the mounting block and leaned over his back and he just stood there! Apparently he has accepted riding as part of our routine. I think he likes it. I had Mom hold him when I mounted anyway because I haven't ridden him as a leader yet, just as a passenger.

Because he was wearing the halter and the bridle, I was able to start introducing the aids. It wasn't very consistent because the ground was a disgusting mixture of soggy grass and crusty ice. Gambler would step on the ice and it would hold him for a second or two - before crumbling underneath his hooves. In spite of the conditions, Mom led him in two large circles (dodging iciness) at a walk. I asked him to flex laterally in the bridle and cued him to back up. I think we practiced "woah" as well. I started squeezing with my legs a little with the cue to go and shifting my weight back to stop. So far, he seems to accept and understand the aids. Obviously when the conditions are better, I'll introduce the aids in a more organized way.




After we were done, I let Gambler out in the pasture with his hay. Then we cleaned the stalls and brought down hay from the loft and finished other miscellaneous barn chores. Just before we left, I stepped into the pasture to see Gambler. He was eating his hay and watching three deer that were standing just outside of the pasture. These pictures are grainy and dark, but if you look up in the upper right hand side, above Gambler's head, you can see three little deer. 

6 comments:

  1. Nice work! Griffin and I did a lot of flexing in the beginningame along with the leg squeeze and slight shift in my seat to signal a whoa. You're definitely on the right track. Once you install a good whoa button it will be great to get into the arena (closed space) to work on things. Both Griffin and my BOs gelding benefitted from time in a closed space where all we cares about was that they moved forward until we said to stop. They could wander all about - we didn't care about direction at all, just steady forward movement. Once they had thenough concepts of stop and go we added directions and later more fine tuned directions. (I don't think I ever really wrote about this.)

    I'm really enjoying reading about your path forward. Consistency is key! You're doing a really great job. :-) can't wait to see the eventual photo of you riding!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you're describing sounds a lot like a method that Pat Parelli uses (and many other trainers I'm sure). I like the idea a lot, the problem right now is that our closed space is full of ice, snow, mud, and other dangerous footing.

      Delete
  2. He has the sweetest face. About the halter- could you put the halter over the bridle and/or remove the nose band of the bridle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Gambler's face - it's so expressive! I tried putting the halter over the bridle originally, and it interfered with the reins. Right now I'm using the bridle as a side-pull (I do have a bit and would like him to be comfortable with and without one) so if I remove the noseband the bridle wouldn't do much good. Thanks for the suggestions though! :)

      Delete
  3. You are doing awesome despite some tough conditions with your footing, which really limit you. Getting him used to your leg squeezes will go a long way. Leah is extremely sensitive to leg pressure. How did he do with his lateral flexion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've asked Gambler for lateral flexion on the ground a lot so he knew right away what I was asking. He only bent his a neck a little, but he had spring shots on Mon and another shot on Wed, so I think his neck was sore.

      Delete