Monday, March 21, 2016

Motivation


On Sunday we had beautiful, sunny weather. It was chilly and (of course) windy, but a lovely day nonetheless. The problem was, my sleep schedule is still a disaster. I am one of those teenagers who is not afraid to admit that my mood depends largely on my sleep schedule. I simply cannot sleep seven hours a night and still function like a human being. I can't sleep eight hours after midnight and still function like a human being. So after driving thirty minutes to the barn I was in a daze (this after four mugs of coffee). 

We brought Gambler and Kez into the barn to feed. I set up in the arena as they ate. Then I groomed Gambler in the cross-ties as usual. I led Gambler out into the arena and then just stood there and looked at him for a while. Actually, I talked to him, out loud. 

Me: Ugh. 
Gambler: You brought me out here to eat right?
Me: No, pick your head up, I'm trying to talk to you!
Gambler: You're so mean to me. *sulk*
Me: As I was saying -
Gambler: IsthatascarythingIthinkitmightbeisitwindycauseIthinkitmightbeshouldIspook?
Me: No, just no. I do not have enough energy. Just stop.
Gambler: ...
Me: Ugh. I just do not even want to deal with this today. Can't we just go for a nice, calm, enjoyable ride?
Gambler: I'm sowwy. But it's windy so . . .no can do.

So we began the exercise that I used last summer to encourage Gambler to work despite slightly windy conditions. 

Step 1: Ask Gambler to circle calmly at a walk without invading your space or bolting
Step 2: Reward good behavior by bringing him into the circle for scratches
Step 3: Switch direction and repeat steps 1-2
Step 4: Send Gambler out onto the circle and repeat step 1 before asking him to trot without invading your space or bolting
Step 5: Once Gambler trots nicely, bring him down to a walk and repeat step 1
Step 6: Reward good behavior
Step 7: Switch direction and repeat steps 4-6
Step 7: Repeat step 4 and then ask Gambler to canter without invading your space or bolting
Step 8: Once Gambler canters calmly, repeat steps 4-6
Step 9: Reward good behavior
Step 10: Switch direction and repeat steps 7-9


Can I say TEDIOUS. Regardless of that, the exercise works magic. The first few times it takes forever to calm Gambler down, but then he realizes the pattern. The beauty of this exercise is that it's repetitive (always a plus for green horses as long as it isn't too repetitive) and it requires emotional maturity. An immature horse becomes hot and stays hot. If he is spooked or completing a high-energy activity (cantering, jumping) he becomes excited and refuse to move slowly or think. This exercise brings Gambler's energy level way up and then asks him to lower it again. After a while, Gambler sees the pattern and doesn't stop thinking when asked to canter in a scary situation.


Gambler did well. I probably could have ridden him he was responding so well. But I just wasn't feeling it. I ended on a good note and let him out to eat his supper. Afterwards I was kicking myself for not using that opportunity better. I only have a few more months of unsolicited time with Gambler. In May, I'll graduate and find a job (or several). In the fall, it's off to college probably. My time with Gambler will be incredibly limited, so I need to take advantage of all the time I have. The moral of this story? Sleep!

Letting Kezi out to eat. 
That hay sure is exciting!

2 comments:

  1. I see nothing wrong with doing the ground work and not riding. It really is the time on the ground that will make the difference. I have come to believe that you listen to your inner self and it will go better. It's when we let the 'I should be...' creep in that we get into trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Kezi is doing well. She looks so weird being shaved from her surgery lol. Still beautiful though. :)

    Sleep is so important!! I also function best on eight or nine hours sleep. Less than eight and I feel like a zombie. If I don't stay on a strict schedule my insomnia kicks in and then it's just a downward spiral. :\

    I'm with Teresa. Follow your gut. Don't pressure yourself into riding when it doesn't feel right just because you think you don't have time. When humans start putting time limits on horses things tend to go downhill. We have to go at their pace.

    ReplyDelete