Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Improvement


On Tuesday, Gambler showed noticeable improvement. I used the same exercise as I did on Sunday, but with more success, in a shorter amount of time. As a warm-up, I played the Parelli seven games. Sadly, I didn't have anyone to take pictures of it. There was a little improvement, just enough to show that it's making a difference.

Then we started the ignore-the-wind exercise.

Asking Gamby to back and then wait for the cue to circle
Asking Gambler to move out on and make the circle wider. I've been trying to send him out farther. He has picked it up faster traveling to the right than the left.
That's more like it.
Gambler showed good form for the most part.


Itchy face
I might have been asking for a canter here.
Awkward place to catch the canter stride.
Another awkward place.
Ahhh! Look at those feet! This is why I wish his bell boots fit. One of these days I'll have to break down and buy a pair in size small.


The main goals of our session have been to work despite the slightly windy conditions (an unavoidable part of spring) and to reinforce vocal cues. Gambler's transitions are fantastic right now, even the downward transitions. He takes the canter on cue and will sustain it for longer without as much encouragement from me. The voice cues will definitely help when I ask him for transitions from the saddle. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like he's doing great, and spring is around the corner. You're going to have a lot of fun with him this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that last picture! He has so much character.

    It sounds like things are going really well. :)

    ReplyDelete