Sunday, March 20, 2016

Spring Break


At long last I am on break. I hope that means I have more Gambler time. Of course, yesterday was Saturday, so I didn't have any more time than usual.  

I arrived at the barn feeling tired and empty of energy. I stayed up Friday night because I was out with friends, and Thursday night because I had homework, and Wednesday night . . . because I have my irresponsible moments. ;) The culmination of that and working out just before coming to the barn had me pooped. I almost fell asleep in the car (thankfully I wasn't driving). 

I took forever grooming Gambler (he has started shedding in earnest) and setting up the arena. Gambler was great, waiting patiently in the cross-ties while I wandered all over the place making noise. I think I'm going to start putting polo wraps on him. I learned how to put them on a year or so ago and I have some from Gamby's back exercises in July. I would have today, but he moves his feet around quite a bit and I was running out of daylight. The last thing I need is a tendon injury from putting polos on in a hurry. 

We started with the Parelli games. He aced the friendly game, looking a little peeved, but not reacting negatively. Then we got to work (play?) on the porcupine game. Instead of the feed bin I used three barrels. The barrels turned out to be more of a distraction, so I started with forequarter yields a few feet away from them.

More interested in eating than yielding

At first he resisted
But relaxed once he understood what I wanted.

Other side
Then I moved back to the barrels to practice yielding the hindquarters.


Gambler even side-passed in both directions with the barrels in front of him. I skipped the third game, because it doesn't make sense to ask with indirect pressure until Gambler understands direct pressure. 

Fourth game: asking Gambler to back by shaking my hands and the rope. Notice that the rope is laying on the ground, Gambler's side of the rope - and his halter - aren't moving at all.
I ask him to back to the end of the rope (still laying on the ground w/o tension)
Then I ask him to stand and wait for the cue to come back to me - a tilted head and running my hands over the rope toward me without pulling.
The next game is the circling game. I combined the circling game with the sixth game: the squeeze game. Horses are claustrophobic (that's how they survive). It takes a lot of trust for a horse to walk calmly through a tight space. It's also good practice for trailering.




Then I played the circling game by itself, paying specific attention to giving clear vocal cues for all three gaits. Gambler will move into a higher gait with just a point and move into a lower gait with a wiggle of the rope, but reminding him of the vocal cues will help him under saddle. 

Gambler has been walking in a more relaxed way, stretching, and moving into a larger circle.






Asking for a canter transition.
Asking for a canter transition in the other direction.
A little strung-out, but a gorgeous picture.
When Gambler comes into the middle he puts his head down and often sighs. The middle of his circle -me- is his safe, relaxed place.  

I didn't ride, because Gambler had already worked pretty hard. I wanted to end on a good note and I think riding would have been too much to ask. We let Kezi and Gambler into their separate pastures to eat supper. 

1 comment:

  1. Chrome picked up on physical cues way faster than vocal cues. I remember getting so frustrated that he just didn't seem to listen to my voice at all. I wonder if that's why I'm so quiet now. I guess I stopped talking because I was afraid I was diluting the vocal cues with too much chatter. Now I forget to even say good boy (as people pointed out when commenting on my videos) so I've been working on that. :)

    You're doing a great job with Gambler! I hope you were able to spend lots of time with him over spring break (so far).

    ReplyDelete