Saturday, March 19, 2016

Discoveries and Plans


Thursday was a full day. Between school, chores, trying to get back into shape, planning graduation, and little - but very, very big - things like doing laundry, my day was packed. I had to skip a bunch of stuff I wanted to do and carefully set aside time for the rest. Add to that I was tired and moderately grumpy and you can guess how much Gambler and I got done. 

The good thing is, Gambler and I probably wouldn't have gotten anything done anyway because it was Kezi's first day back in the pasture.

When I arrive at the barn, Gambler seemed to be over it. He was grazing, ignoring Kezi entirely.
But Kezi was feeling goood!
Someone is glad to be out of her stall.
So Gambler had to join in.
In sync.


Does this look familiar?
Gambler and Kezi's first meeting in August.
So I didn't do much with Gambler on Thursday. Mostly I sat in the barn (oh, I forgot, it was also quite cold and windy) drinking coffee and cleaning stalls. 

I cannot, however, sit in the barn while my horse is right there within reach. Gambler now has his own feeding tank in the pasture, since he and Kezi can't be in the same pasture yet. So of course I wandered out into the cold for no purpose other than to give him scratches. And of course giving scratches led to some sort of lesson, because every moment spend with a horse is an opportunity to teach him something.

On Sunday (I think it was Sunday, not really sure because when I am busy I lose all perception of time), I was playing the Parelli games with Gambler. It became quickly apparent that his porcupine game (giving to direct pressure) was rusty. When I pressed on his hindquarters he either stood there looking annoyed, or tried to walk away, or brought his forequarters to me instead of moving the hindquarters away. I came to the conclusion that it was my fault, because the only time I've been asking for a hindquarter yield is when I want him to face me on the circle or follow me at liberty. 

So while Gambler was eating his supper, I asked him for a couple hindquarter yields. At first he didn't quite understand, but soon I had him giving hindquarter yields and even a couple side passes. I think it helps to have something solid in front of him to begin. Once the cues are clear we can transition to maneuvering without an object blocking forward movement.

2 comments:

  1. If I remember right Chrome had trouble figuring that one out too lol. Now he's really, really good at it. The lightest touch of my finger on his hip is all it takes. Sometimes I don't even have to touch him lol. Gambler will figure it out in no time. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that Gambler's not the only one with yielding struggles. It's reassuring to know that weakness can be overcome.

      Delete