Saturday, March 26, 2016

Beautiful, Relaxed Day

My favorite view.
I was going to ride on Thursday, because it was a beautiful day, but while grooming I discovered that Gambler's shoulders were sore. It wasn't from riding because I haven't ridden in a week or so. My guess is that Gamby and Kez were playing rough in the pasture. Or maybe Gambler was running around and fell down (it's happened before, such a clutz). This just goes to show the importance of grooming your horse before you ride or at least running your hands over them. If I had just jumped on Gambler (a green horse to boot) while his shoulders were sore, who knows what would have happened. It would have been an unpleasant experience for both of us. Instead, I got to spend time with my horse in a comfortable environment. 




6 comments:

  1. Aww I hope the soreness went away quickly. I'm glad you noticed it before riding. Definitely a bad combination with green and pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difficulty is, my smart snotty little horse will pretend to be sore to get out of work. Somedays I will rub him all over with my hands without reaction, but if I set the saddle blanket on his back and he'll throw his head up and grunt. I'll take it off and poke and prod and shake his shoulders and back - no reaction. I walk back over to the saddle pad and pick it off of the barrel and he will grunt. I would like to know how the saddle pad hurt him from three feet away. So I have to be careful not to ever hurt him, but not to let him get out of work either.

      Delete
    2. Could it be fear rather than pain? Or maybe just annoyance or frustration or something? I don't know if horses know how to fake pain. They are hard wired to hide pain because showing pain in the wild meant getting eaten by predators. They do grunt from irritation though I think. I'm not sure. I haven't ever really had a grunter before. I wish they could just speak English!!! LOL!

      Delete
    3. It could be fear or frustration, although Gambler doesn't act fearful when I saddle him up, but even if it is I think the best thing is to push him through it so he learns there is nothing to be afraid of. What you say makes sense, I'm not sure how feigning pain would help a horse in the wild. I have heard of horses faking lameness before. I am encouraged by the fact that yesterday when I tacked up Gamby didn't grunt once.

      Delete
    4. I've heard of it too, but I'm still skeptical I guess.. It just seems against their nature. Horses are smart though, so I guess if they really are lame and get out of work... maybe they could figure out how to fake it?? They are adaptable so I'm not counting out the possibility, but I just don't think an inexperience green horse like Gambler would know how. It seems like that would be older horses who have been around. Besides Gambler likes riding so why would he be trying to fake you out? Anything could happen, but I'm skeptical lol. I think since Gambler enjoys the riding, that you have the right plan to just keep working through it. Horses can be weird hehe.

      Delete
    5. No kidding. Horses can be so weird!

      Delete