Sunday, March 6, 2016

Unexpected (Ninth Ride)

Kezi returned home on Saturday. I didn't visit Gambler that day, although I usually do, because I was feeling under the weather. I took comfort in the fact that he was being a hyperactive spaz due to Kezi's return, so I probably wouldn't have gotten anything done anyway.

Today I went out to the barn expecting no better. I figured that he would just run around in a blind panic, paying as little attention to me as possible. I was pleasantly surprised.

To begin I stuck Gambler in the cross-ties and attempted to groom him. I thought today we could stick the close contact saddle on him to check the fit and get him used to it again. Gambler, however, had other plans. He would not hold still in the cross-ties. Even with Mom holding him, he was impossible to groom. It was pretty much what I expected, so I skipped all that and brought him out into the arena.

At first he trotted distractedly. Now and then he would jump into a canter with an extravagant buck or two. I think he tried to bolt away from me once, but it wasn't even bad enough to give me rope burn. After a few minutes, he calmed down. In fact, he relaxed more than he usually does! He gave me several circles of steady, calm trot with his head even with or below his withers. I asked him for a canter and he cantered perfectly on cue two or three times, sustaining it until I asked him to trot and then obediently trotting. I was impressed.

After all the excitement was over, I remembered that I had brought the camera (it's finally warm enough for the camera to take pictures). Sadly, by this point, it was dark, and almost all the pictures Mom got were of the cooling down process.

This was right before I started cooling him off. It's blurry, but she caught Gambler just as I asked him to canter.
This is where I don't like to see Gambler's head. He has it flung up into the air, employing the muscles underneath his neck instead of along his crest.

This is a better head position.
Could be better, but could be worse.
Finally, once Gambler was cooled off, I asked Mom to lead him in a couple of circles while I rode him. It was a short ride, hardly worthy of being called a ride, but I felt that it was a good note to end on. 

When I got to the barn, I wasn't expecting to have a productive session, or get to ride at all. You'd think by now Gambler would have taught me to expect the unexpected.

Gambler and the beautiful sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment