Sunday, September 20, 2015

Colic

Every horse person's worst nightmare. Okay, maybe that is an overstatement, there are many other horrible things in the horsey world. Thankfully, Gambler's first experience with colic (that I know of) was minor. *deep sigh of relief* He just had a little bout of sand colic. The first thing I noticed was how quiet he was, and then he started grunting and stomping his feet. I walked him until he stopped grunting and began eating. He also perked up quite a bit and started acting like his spooky, goofy, self. Finally, a few hours later, he pooped! Yay poop! In the end, we didn't even have to call the vet.

It was actually a great experience. Once I knew Gambler was not in dire straits, it was fun just hanging out with my horse, walking him down the trails and hand-grazing him. I'm extremely thankful to the barn owner for staying with me through it all. She knows so much more about these things than I do. Plus it's nice to have someone to talk to.

Obviously I didn't play with Gambler today, but here are some pictures from yesterday.








No comments:

Post a Comment