Thursday, September 24, 2015

Never a Dull Moment

So today I went to the barn to chill with my horse. He, of course, was way out in the pasture and waited for me to come all the way out there to get him. I know for a fact that he and Kezi will run in for the barn owner, so I'm pretty sure they stay out just because it's me. Maybe they think I need exercise. They would probably be right, school has me sitting for seven hours a day, and I haven't walked the dog in way too long. But anyway, I brought in Gambler and Kezi and did chores. I had to hand feed Gambler a couple of bites, but this time he ate the majority of his food on his own. Then I put him in the cross-ties and groomed him. Same old stuff really. I'm really impressed that I can pick out his front feet without an issue now. He still kicks in the back, but we are making progress.




After I finished chores and groomed Gambler, I decided to take him for a walk outside of the pasture. I actually took him on a walk down the trail on the day of the colic scare, and while Kezi freaked out a little, Gambler was really good. I figured it was a good way to get him used to being in a new place and a good way for Kezi and him to figure out their herd-boundness. 

Walking down the gravel road.

Kezi having a panic attack

Look at Kezi go

I love this picture

These photos were taken right before all Kezi broke loose. I turned around to see her come galloping up from the lower pasture full-tilt. For a second I thought, "Oh no, she's gonna go through the fence." Then I though, "Nah, she didn't run through the fence last time I took Gambley for a walk." Then she ran through the fence. 

The few minutes were pretty chaotic. I proceeded to walk a very, very anxious Gambler back to the barn, while Mom tried to guide a panicky Kezi back into the fence. About halfway back Gambler decided he had had enough walking away from Kezi and pulled a new trick out of his back pocket. Rearing. Now, he has reared before, but this was a little different. This was several (I think four or five) rears in a row. We worked through it, and he was very respectful of my space the whole time. I will definitely keep this in mind though. Next time I will be more prepared, especially if I'm riding. In the end, we got Kez and Gamby into the barn and fixed the fence. Kezi is limping a little, but the fence broke where she hit it, so she doesn't appear to be cut up or anything. All is well that ends well. 

I stayed in the barn with the spooky horses, while Mom fixed the fence. 

Gambler (in Kezi's stall)



Kezi (in Gambler's stall)



I'm so happy I finally got pictures of Gambler's eyes! 
He doesn't normally hold still long enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment