Thursday, October 15, 2015

Defeating the Trees (Day Two)

I'm glad that Gambler and I had our breakthrough on Tuesday regarding wind and trees, because today the winds were gusting at up to 29 miles per hour! I guess that's fall for you. I know I've said this before, but I love wind and Gambler is terrified of it.

I didn't have to catch Gambler to bring the horses in. I just walked far enough into the pasture that they could see me and they followed me back in on their own. Because it was such a spooky day, they would trot, then canter, then stop and look around like they were surrounded by monsters. Trot after me, canter, stop and look around. They did this five or six times on the way in from the pasture, so I knew Gamby was gonna be a handful. 

I led him out into the arena and tried to warm him up. It's not easy to properly warm up a horse that is bolting into a canter whenever the trees move. Usually I try to warm him up before doing any canter work, because I don't want him to strain himself, but today I really didn't have a choice in that. 

So I went right into the exercise I used yesterday where I urge him forward when he is in the "safe" area away from the trees, but take all the pressure off when he is by the scary trees, which encourages him to calm down instead of spook and bolt. He caught on so much quicker than he did two days ago, and on a spookier day too! It's very encouraging to see him improve so much. The best part is--I remembered to bring the camera!

Approaching the trees.

CANTER AWAY!


Oh. I guess the trees aren't going to eat me if I slow to a trot.


Finally walking.


Relaxed, head down and everything. 

Isn't he beautiful?



Yawning!
I got a few beautiful pictures just before I left. The sun was setting and the lighting was amazing.



2 comments:

  1. Those sunset pictures make me want to paint. So pretty!

    Gambler is gorgeous and his trot is so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they wonderful? I've seen some of the best sunsets at the barn. Something about that area catches the light perfectly.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete