Friday, October 30, 2015

Winter is Coming!

The cold weather is here. A few days ago, it snowed for the first time this season. Freezing winds, fluffy flakes of snow, and a sugar-like white power were everywhere you turned your eyes. It was beautiful, but frigid and inconvenient to horse-related activities. I love winter in some ways. After all, without winter there would be no autumn, which is my favorite season.

Since then the snow melted away, but it left the low temperatures behind. Now it is cold and gloomy and wet. Burrrr! Believe it or not, there is a point to this wintry rant. Winter is coming. This means I have less time with Gambler. Although I am an idealist who hopes this winter will be as mild as rumors suggest, the conditions will probably get worse from here. Most people set horse activities aside for the winter, because it is nearly impossible to get anything done in the conditions. Ice, snow, wind, cold, none of these are conducive to riding horses. There are exceptions. The moderately deep, fluffy snow (that only appears in the coldest temps) is a similar texture to the sand that fills arenas, making it ideal for riding. Of course you still have to cope with the cold. 

I have no idea what this winter has in store for Gambler and me. Maybe it will be mild and I'll find a lot of time to ride and play with him. Maybe it will be cold and icy and we'll spend four to five months in the cross-ties. Either way, I am determined not to let the frozen weather get between my horse and me. It's time to bring out the hats, hand-warmers, thick winter socks, and invest in some flannel-lined jeans. I'm tempted to buy some winter riding gloves too. 

But what is a horse person to do when conditions drive him away from the barn and into the warm security of his home? Read books, lots of books. Ironically, I'm writing this from the library . . . ;) But I'm completely serious. Find a warm blanket (fleece and flannel are my favorites); a cup of warm apple cider, coffee, tea, or hot chocolate; and a book. Better yet, read a blog. Either way, reading is an enjoyable way to continue building your horsey knowledge while locked away at home. Even if you live in a warmer place where the storms of winter don't barricade you away, reading is never a waste of time. Here are a few suggestions. 

**Again, I will have you know none of these people are paying me to suggest their books/blogs**

Books: 
*Hope Rising by Kim Meeder and A Bridge Called Hope by Kim Meeder - Both of these books are full of true stories from Crystal Peaks Youth Ranch; a ranch that rescues horses and teaches them to trust, while using their stories to prove to humans that there is hope. It is a beautiful witness to God's love for His people and His creatures. 

*The Phantom Stallion Series by Terri Farely - This series is aimed at teens and pre-teens (I read them as a ten-year-old) but they are beautifully written must-reads for every horse-crazy girl. 

Blogs:
*Simply Horse Crazy (Mare) - This blogger has temporarily (I hope!) set her blog aside to pursue a career, but she left her blog up as a testimony to her first horse and their story. It is full of wonderful thoughts and insights. I suggest reading the entire blog start to finish as I did. She reminds me a lot of myself.

* Beautiful Mustang (Linda) - I haven't read very much of this blog yet due to my OCD-like need to read blogs from the very beginning. I'm still back in 2008, but from what I have read I admire her story and writing style. Someday I hope to gentle a mustang, so I appreciate everything her blog stands for.

How do you fulfill your horsey passion in the winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment