Monday, October 12, 2015

The New Plan

I've spent some time thinking about the last few sessions with Gambler. Things just haven't been working out the way I'd expected. Something needs to change. So I've thought it over and come up with a new approach. 

The first step in my new approach is the same as the first step of my last plan, only more intense. The plan was to stand on the mounting block and ask Gambler to stand next to it calmly. When he steps away or moves around I send him out in a circle around me so that he learns that the mounting block is a safe place where he gets to rest.


The problem with the last plan was in the execution. I only asked him to walk calmly, which didn't push him at all. When he walks away or moves around I need to push him into a fast trot or a canter so that when he comes back in he wants to rest. There is one more thing that I want to change. I want to attach a pair of gaming reins to the halter while I'm doing this exercise just to get him used to having them there.


The second step in the new plan is to do some in-hand work with the halter and gaming reins. I got this idea while researching dressage training methods. Some trainers will walk beside a horse holding the reins under the jaw to teach the horse head position or lateral work. I want to try out this method to teach Gambler the basics of plow-reining: turn, stop, back up, and flex laterally. I realize that it is more conventional to use long-lining, but I've tried that with Gambler before and he is very uncomfortable walking in front of me. It's something we need to work on in the future, but right now I'd rather see if he is more comfortable with in-hand work.

Lateral Flexion
The third step is to combine the first two. I will return to the mounting block and flex him laterally. At that point I will lean over him again and prepare him to be mounted. When he allows me to lay over him without moving around or leaving I will attach the 22-ft line and give it to my mom as a safety line. Then I'll get on him. If he moves around I'll do a one-rein stop (lateral flexion) until he holds still. Once he stands calmly I'll get off again. Repeat on the other side.

So that's the plan. It should take at least two days to complete, more if you count wind and rain and other strange occurrences that can't be planned for. I won't put the first ride on him for a while, because so far I've taken it slow with him and it has paid off. I want to wait until he is comfortable with the rider as a passenger before I introduce the rider as his leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment